Thursday, November 29, 2007

Working On the Inside

I know my last post was kind of negative with the glass is half empty approach. It seems that the majority of the comments left for me had a theme of me needing to work on the inside. Because I am going to succeed at this endeavor I do need to take your comments to heart (as I respect all your opinions). But truthfully I am left a little confused. How does one work on their inside? Believe me I think about being fat and out of shape daily. I think about all the reasons I want to change and why. I know I have a wonderful life and that I am very fortunate for what I have and what I have accomplished in my time. I am pretty much doing what I always thought I would do. I have wonderful friends & family, a loving wife, a incredible son and another on the way, the ability to support them, an education, and I am happy the majority of the time. Being fat is one of the negative things in my life. So believe me I do want to change that. I do believe my downfall is mainly food and the mentality around it. I have always been somewhat reserved with a questionable self image, but that is just me the way I have always been. I just don't understand how one fixes something like that.

On a health note I did some interval training yesterday and the diet was good. So I am sitting on the back of the health wagon bouncing along trying to find my way back up to the front with the rest of you. I also had my annual Dr. appt yesterday and the doc took notice of the weight I have lost so far. We talked about fitness/turkey trot etc and he seemed supportive and happy for me (that was nice). Thanks FAT for being in my corner, don't throw the white towel in for me I got lots of fight left.

14 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

One thing you'll learn real quick is that there's NO SUCH THING as a white towel with the FAT Coalition. So no worries about it coming out.

When it comes to working on the inside, I think it has to be a daily thing. I don't think it does any of us any good to sit here and say "I love myself, I'm going to do this, blah blah blah" if we don't follow up with it. I think that the best satisfaction comes AFTER we prove to ourselves that we did it.

For example - this morning I just was not into working out. I didn't feel like it, and as far as I was concerned, I would just skip the workout and watch the 2nd hour (why do they make every episode 2 hours by the way) of the Biggest Loser.

But I didn't. I got up, and got to the gym, and just put FIRE underneath it.

I had the losers mentality before I left the house. I proved that I'm stronger than the dark side, and I overcame.

Use the Force™, man. Whatever it takes.

Brian said...

Mr. X
have you thought about joining some type of sport? Like some group that plays basketball weekly, or something like that?
What about taking yoga, ti chi, or karate or something?

I think you just need to forget about wieght loss for a while, focus on trying something new you like doing, and relax. In time it will all fall into place.

Rebecca said...

Basically I mean to really do some introspection and ask yourself some tough questions - do you REALLY want to lose weight? Are you willing to make the required sacrifices? I think the questionable self image is the biggest issue - it seems to lead you to defeat a lot. It can be changed - where your self-image comes from, what makes you feel confident, why you don't feel confident in some areas. Plus it seems like you engage in a cycle of defeat - self-defeating thoughts, half-ass action leads to no results, which leads to more self-defeating thoughts, etc... I have definitely seen my self esteem get a boost from setting goals and following through on them, but I have also had to look at why I doubt myself sometimes. Does that make sense?

Melissa said...

I think the more negative you look at this whole weightloss thing, like saying your fat, that is what is bringing you down. If you look at it in a more positive way, it may be helpful. Ive mentioned before how bad my self image and insecurities were and have learned a lot of techniques in therapy on how to change the way I see things, or think, and it really has helped. I dont want to be to preachy though.

I do think Brian has a good point. You need to find the fun in this journey again. Find something that gives you enjoyment, and than losing the weight is just the benefit.

billy said...

RipX I know what you mean.

We start this journey thinking that being fat is the problem, but I think what most of us find is that it's just a symptom. The real problems are on the inside, and they are much harder to see and even harder to fix.

There's a book called "Psyho-cybernetics" that deals with self-image, I have only read a little bit but it comes highly recommended.

Most importantly, be open to identifying what is going on on the inside, it's the first step to fixing it.

kyle said...

I have the same questions. You've said before that you think we have a lot in common, and on this issue we're eye to eye my friend. I have no idea how to change what's so ingrained inside.

I know that most of how I feel about myself is tied to my weight. I'm kind of banking on the loss of weight changing those self depreciating thoughts. Like Billy said when I was reading his blog, I understand losing weight doesn't make everything in life great. I do however feel that losing the weight will change my inner feelings and self confidence, which in turn will benefit many other areas of my life. I could be wrong and I won't know until I get there, but if nothing else I'll be much healthier than I am now. If I have to work on the inner me when I get there....so be it. At least I know that I'll like how I look which is more than I can say now.

Geoff said...

I think the mental change comes gradually as you make minor changes in your lifestyle to support being healthy. Each change causes some deal of discomfort, but with that discomfort comes clarity. I don't think there's one moment of epiphany. At least, that's how it has been for me. You'll learn that you *can* work out even if you don't feel like it. You *can* eat good with just a little planning. You *can* lose the weight and be healthy. And you will, I know you will.

Jim McCoy said...

Rip, it is mostly about your attitude towards yourself and your goals. If you want to do the work physically, you have to do it mentally, too. If Billy is going to recommend a book, I will too. You can grab mine while you're at the bookstore buying his. It's call "What to Say When You're Talking to Yourself." It sounds like it might be helpful. Here's a tip from the book: Don't think, "I want to eat healthy and work out," think, "I do eat healthy and work out." It's a subtle difference, but a big one.

Jay said...

keep posting, keep pushing, you'll get there soon enough.

Melissa said...

Knock Knock...can Rip come out and play? :)

Rob Tucker said...

Hey, how's things going over on your side, Rippers?

Marcol said...

Jim it sounds like the author of the book you mentioned been reading my book ;)

Rip how are you doing over there? Havent heard from you since our last talk...still my buddy?

Ripx180 said...

still just working on my head. Having a hard time finding the drive lately and don't want to waste peoples time reading another I'm not getting it done post.

Anonymous said...

"Another I'm not getting it done post?"
Isn't that what we're here for? If we didn't have those times in our lives we would'nt be here. That is what we all have in common. To share those times with people who understand is a big part of the FAT Coalition.