I had somewhat of an eye opener conversation with a friend of mine the other day. I have spoken about him in past blogs (the firefighter who’s training for a ironman). I was out at his house for dinner and we were talking about his training schedule which is absolutely insane. I started bitching about my workouts and trouble losing weight. He is one of those lucky guys that can eat just about anything and never get fat, so he didn’t have much advice on diet. He only had a few pieces of info on diet “calories in calories out” and “pre/post workout shake or drink”. What he did bring back to the forefront of my mind was heart rate while working out. I have a polar heart rate monitor and never really put much stock in where my heart rate was at.
Well I have been running in the 165-175 bpm range when doing runs on my treadmill. I was gassing out after about 15-20min and had no stinking energy. He told me I was working way too hard and that I needed to slow down even if it meant walking some. The stupid thing is I already knew all this information but wasn’t putting it to use. I started researching it a bit and found some generic MHR equation like 220-your age = MHR (max heart rate). I am 33 so my approx MHR is 187. So pretty much anything over 168 was putting me into the red zone 90% of my MHR. My understating is it’s ok to get into those number if you’re doing HIIT but steady state cardio is another beast. So the last week or so I have been keeping my MHR under 160 (preferably 155) while doing steady state cardio. My workouts have been much more enjoyable and effective. Last night was a 40 min cardio session that resulted in over 3 miles and 550 calories burnt. Previously I was lucky to hit 2 miles and 400cal in 25 minutes or so before practically crashing. I think the main issue was I was still trying to work out like I did when I was 30yo, <200 style=""> So if you have a HRM use it and listen to your heart. Your workouts will be longer, more affective, and more enjoyable which will increase the likelihood of doing them again.
Keep it real FAT.
5 comments:
isn't it funny how you know something but don't put it into practice? good to see you are fixing your situation and getting better workouts. also good that you are still getting workouts in. How's the new addition doing? gotta be pretty hetic around the house huh? stay strong rip
It's good that you are fixing your cardio problem. The way you were going you might of gotten burnt out you know?
How's the new addition doing? Gotta be pretty hetic around the house, good to see you are still working on yourself as well. Stay strong rip
Hey man, it's been a while I hope everything is going well with evan and you're weight loss...let us know man
You're a busy guy - just make sure to take some of that time out to spend it on yourself. Glad to see you cranking it out.
Glad to hear that things are going well, Rip. Keep it moving forward man and get where you wanna be.
Post a Comment