Well I haven't blogged in over a month and that's a long time for me. Probably the longest hiatus I have taken from blogging in a long time. Having a hard time staying motivated and wondering if this blog is worth my effort anymore. There used to be a huge community and that made it all worth while to me. I Guess I should still give it some thought since I have posted to Learning to Live for almost 3 years now. Even if I do decide this blog has run its course I would still like to stay in touch with a handful of friends/readers that have always been around to support me.
Lets see 2009 was a good year in life in general. I saw some ups and downs on the health front. I recorded my lowest weight of 194 back in June. Sadly if I look back on my blog to January 2009 I was weighing in at 204. Today I weighed in at 211 which is attributed to months of bad diet and slacking on the workout front. The last 2-3 months have pretty much sucked for me in regards to loosing weight. To me these stats are mentally draining and defeating.. Through allot of 2009 I gave up a ton of time (working out) and food to try and get to some magical number. Its so hard for me to not go extreme to one side or the other. I have been trying to get off this roller coaster for a long time but I must have a life long pass to ride. I just wish I could have ended 2009 on a good note weight wise. However I cannot complain to much as the rest of my life is good. I have a wonderful wife, boys, extended family, job, home, etc etc etc.... so I'm super thankful for that.
So onto 2010... I am not big into new years resolutions and believe anytime is a good time to set new goals. I guess the changing of a calendar year does make one reflect on the past year (why I am writing this I suppose). My wife and I have been talking about trying to get back to basics, back to what worked before. Time to really start meal planning again, eating out less, and communicating more about diet/fitness. She is the only consistent thing in my life that I believe really effects my health (that and of course #1 is myself). I need to try and surround myself with like minded people too. It seems hard in my life to do that as most people I know are either skinny (in shape) or fat and don't give a shit about diet and exercise. I have a few friends that can definitely be resources and I need to lean on them a little harder. I still think the beachbody programs (p90, p90x, insanity, Chalean extreme etc) are really good and fit my lifestyle well. So at this point my exercises regimes will use those programs with some running and boxing mixed in. I just started sparring with my neighbor across the street recently. I have never done any violent combat sports until now. I have found it to be a great exercise and fun given you have a good partner. We both agree to only go at about 60% and we have proper gear (headgear, gloves, mouth guards etc).
hope this finds all of you well and best of luck in the new year.
7 comments:
Great Post !!
This is very useful information for Fitness.
It's good to hear that you're setting some goals for yourself. The basics are the best, but also the hardest or most pain-in-the-butt-est. I know I'm having to work on them!
As for the community, it's definitely changing faces. I miss the blog posts of Billy, Tuck, Melissa, and Becky and Kevin. However, a new team can mean that we'll just plow through this thing and git'er done ;).
I am with Carrie, we can do this, time for a new team. Let us be the motivators this time around!!
Don't ever stop man, keep on blogging. I know I don't blog much, but I know it's there when I need it (like today). It's an invaluable tool, even if not many people read it or get in on the action. It's mostly a place for you to come clean, even if it's just to yourself (but it isn't!) I hear you on losing track and refocusing. Exactly where I'm at. Get used to it, we're always gonna have to work for it. Happy new year!
Looks like we're all in the same boat. Better than when we started, but not as good as we've been in the recent past. Focus on having a good life and being healthy and fit for your wife and kids, the stuff that really matters. You've done really well before, you can do it again. Just get some momentum going. That's the key, I think.
Welcome back! I have been meaning to email you but didn't want to be a pest if you were taking a break. Let me know if you want to chat (email) about any strategies. Like I've said, your mind and heart have to be in it to lose weight and you have to lose for you, nobody else - though the boys are a good motivator. If you are just not into losing then work hard on coasting and not doing any more damage.
While coasting just watch everything you put into your mouth and even if it is 'bad' acknowledge it as such and enjoy it until you are ready to lose. Maybe balance it out when you finish something 'bad' - you could say: I just ate something that will not help me maintain my weight. Tomorrow I will make a point of having one of my meals be a filling, high-nutrient, low-calorie meal to balance out what I just ate.
Glad to hear about all the exercise! It means you are healthy with maybe just a little too much body fat. Remember that when trying to lose body fat, it is 90% diet!
2010 will be our best, we can make it happen
Post a Comment