Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Good News and Food!

Well I finally get to talk about something thats been on my mind for ohhh a trimester or so. Andi and I are expecting our second child. around the end of March this next year. Its weird having all the nervous thoughts and sense of responsibility rushing through my head again. This second time around its been way less stressful in general as we know kind of what to expect. We had our first ultra sound about a week and a half ago (see baby Rip pick to the left). Everything looks good and he/she had a heart rate of 165. Anyway wanted to share this with my FAT family. Now I have another big reason to get really serious about getting and staying healthy.


Food for thought. Last night my wife made a really good version of Stone Soup.

INGREDIENTS:
lean meat of your choice (I used 1 turkey sausage/kielbasa and 3 chicken breasts)
onion (to taste....I used about 1/4 of a very large onion)
1 can low sodium chicken broth
1 can butter beans - drained
1 can kidney beans - drained
celery, sliced (I did about 5 sticks)
carrots, sliced (I did about 2/3 of a small bag of baby carrots)
zucchini, roughly diced (I put in 2)
boullion (I did just one cube for flavor)
garlice (I used 2 cloves sliced and 2 cloves crushed)
EVOO (about 1 teaspoon)
METHOD:
In a large stew/stock pot, cook meat and onions in the EVOO until its just cooked through (over medium heat). Add in chicken broth. Once boiling, add in carrots & celery. Allow soup to resume a boil. Add in butter beans & kidney beans....again allow the soup to resume a boil. Add in zucchini and boullion. Once all veggies are cooked through and add in the garlic (by adding the garlic in last, you ensure that the health properties of this herb remain as intact as possibe) and reduce heat to simmer for a couple minutes. If you like to "spice it up" you can add a hot sauce to taste once the soup is done (I like the Sriracha Sauce or Rooster as I call it). Feel free to throw in any other vegetables or beans you think would taste good in this soup. Thats the fun part of this soup....there is no exact recipe....so be creative. ENJOY!!!

I took the night off from exercise last night but am gonna hit it hard with a vengence tonight. I am expecting a new low tomorrow but I know what happens when you expect. Hopefully I will see a new number tomorrow.

14 comments:

Kristen said...

Oooh - I get to be the first to say Congratulations on the new addition to your family!!! How exciting for you guys.

Kristen said...

oh crap - i forgot you have comment moderation. maybe i'm not the first after all :)

Ripx180 said...

I thought about turning off the comment moderation but my personal wordpress blog gets a ton of SPAM junk.

Your still the first one to give me the congrats!! thanks

Marcol said...

Congratulations Daddy Ripx! Im sure you and your wife are pretty stoked.

billy said...

congrats! And that soup looks AWESOME, especially healthwise. It's kinda like chili, which I find is like the perfect food- lean meat, beans, and veggies- can't go wrong there it's got everything a lean body needs!

Brian said...

congrats!
ditto on the soup!

can you fedex me some?

Jay said...

That's great news man! Keep up the good habits and make em proud daddy!

Jim McCoy said...

Congratulations! I'm a father myself, and I know how cool it feels. So enjoy it, and get lots of sleep now.

David said...

Ahah,

This is a great news. I am very very happy for you Guys. There are no words to express how having kids make a parent feel except maybe the word : awesome !

Go RipX, you are a Starbuck !

Anonymous said...

Congrats!
Love the pic. He/She is SO cute!

Kevin A. said...

WOOHOO!!!! Good for you guys. Mini-Rip still has it, eh?

Ripx180 said...

Hey I'm not that old Kev! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ripx, congrats on the news! Great recipe, I'm going to try it. One question, when you say 3 chicken breast, how much ounce wise are you talking about?

Ripx180 said...

Jay, we just used 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts from Costco. They kind of vary in size. The beauty of the soup is you kind of just add stuff until it looks good. It was really good by the way. Had it for left overs a couple times too. ;)