Rather than trying to run, hide, and avoid posting this week I'm going to try to do the opposite. I am kind of struggling here as of late and I really dont know why. I have allowed more carbs and junk food to work back into my diet the last week. I haven't been horrible nor have I ate like I used to in the past, but I have been lax in my attempts to loose weight. I only exercised 2 times last week combined with my not so great eating. I talk to my wife about it all the time saying stuff like "I need to get this back together" or "I'm kind of out of control". So I know there is a issue, yet I am having a hard time doing something about it. I wish I had a steady workout partner. I don't really want to join a gym because my wife and I put a fair amount of money into our home gym (bowflex, treadmill, and stationary bike) and I hate spending the needed time to travel to and from the gym on top of exercise time there. I feel like I have limited time at home as is with my wife and child. The time change has kind of sapped the energy out of me also. I guess the only good news is my weight has stayed in the lower 220s. I think I want to start doing more interval type training like Billy, Jay, or Gene are doing but I am feeling kind of limited due to my no gym access. I want to do the big compound movements that hit the major muscle groups. I can do them with body weight but I feel like I need additional weight to really push myself and build. So if any of you have suggestions for home type stuff please give me a shout out. Sorry that my post have been lacking motivation or positive flow as of late. I am really trying to right my course.
Monday, November 5, 2007
Falling
Rather than trying to run, hide, and avoid posting this week I'm going to try to do the opposite. I am kind of struggling here as of late and I really dont know why. I have allowed more carbs and junk food to work back into my diet the last week. I haven't been horrible nor have I ate like I used to in the past, but I have been lax in my attempts to loose weight. I only exercised 2 times last week combined with my not so great eating. I talk to my wife about it all the time saying stuff like "I need to get this back together" or "I'm kind of out of control". So I know there is a issue, yet I am having a hard time doing something about it. I wish I had a steady workout partner. I don't really want to join a gym because my wife and I put a fair amount of money into our home gym (bowflex, treadmill, and stationary bike) and I hate spending the needed time to travel to and from the gym on top of exercise time there. I feel like I have limited time at home as is with my wife and child. The time change has kind of sapped the energy out of me also. I guess the only good news is my weight has stayed in the lower 220s. I think I want to start doing more interval type training like Billy, Jay, or Gene are doing but I am feeling kind of limited due to my no gym access. I want to do the big compound movements that hit the major muscle groups. I can do them with body weight but I feel like I need additional weight to really push myself and build. So if any of you have suggestions for home type stuff please give me a shout out. Sorry that my post have been lacking motivation or positive flow as of late. I am really trying to right my course.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Hey Rip...sorry to hear youre feeling a bit down. Hope that turns around soon.
Instead of thinking you need to make a gym membership investment have you considered adding to your home gym? Maybe you could look into purchasing some kettlebells or something...a few of those will help and theres lots of fun, hard-working routines you can do with a few of those things...
Just an idea...
You could also get a tire and a sledge hammer and do some workouts outdoors in your backyard if you have space...
You could get a couple of water jugs that go into a water cooler and run a distance outside with those...theres plenty...holla at me if you want some ideas.
Hey Marcol,
Thanks for the thoughts. I would love to get more ideas from you if you have them. I do have lots of space in the backyard (12000 sf lot). I can sink some more dough into equipment but I need to limit the space the equipment takes (if it needs to be inside). I have some room in the garage etc. I am currently using my office as my workout room also (since we have a smaller house). If you want to reply to me via e-mail my e-mail is ripx180@gmail.com.
This is where the rubber meets the road, man.
I struggled with this for a long, long time, and still haven't beaten it.
It's easy at first, this whole weight loss thing. It's fresh and new, and something that can actually be fun and motivating. But what happens when you lose that 'new car smell' and you have to push your way through?
You blog about it. You get it out there. You realize that you're not doing what you should do, and something, you're just not going to WANT to do it.
But you do it anyway. It's the hardest part of this entire thing.
You have two choices.
Suck it up, go anyway, and hopefully get remotivated, or back off, and guarantee you see your old weights again.
I've said in the past that "the best motivator for weight loss is weight loss itself". Try going hard for a few days, even if you don't want to. If the scale drops, maybe that'll excite you.
Ah, it was just one short month ago when I tore you a new bung hole, and here you are, floundering once again. Rob's 100% right, you can give up and get fat, or you can push through, work your fanny off, and see some real weight loss happen.
We're all busy. But we find time to workout and to plan and cook healthy meals. I know that you know what to do. What do you think is keeping you from putting your plan into action?
Maybe you need to spend some time inside your head, trying to figure out what your mental block is. Seriously. I'm not trying to be snarky.
Also, a workout buddy is a great idea. Is your home gym big enough that you could invite a buddy over to w/o together? Would Wifey w/o with you after Kid #1 is asleep? Do you at least have an mp3 player or tv in there to keep you company?
We're all pulling for you, Rip, and I hate to see you struggle. I think you should take Rob's advice. Eat 100% clean and workout five hours (over five days, of course) for a week, maybe seeing the twenties disappear is just the kick in the pants you need.
If not, I'd volunteer to give you a real kick in the pants. Or another "tough love" comment.
Rip,
I know it's not always fun, but sometimes you just have to buckle down. I'm sitting here hungry at my computer as I type this, but I'm not eating because it's 1:30 AM. It's not easy, and there is a ton of candy in the kitchen from Trick or Treating, but it's going to stay there. I woke up this morning, it was cold wet and rainy. I went to the mall and walked. You can do it, but you've got to force yourself to until it gets fun again. Watching the weight drop will refocus you, but YOU have to put the work in to get it to drop. There's no point in whining about it, you just need to do it.
These slumps suck big time. What's working for me is to make that first right decision. Dude, it's hard, but once you make it, it's so worth it. The second right decision isn't much easier, but I swear they get easier as you go along. The trick is to not think about it. Just do it. (Hey, that would make a great slogan.) Anyway, just make those good decisions and the results will follow. :)
I have to agree that your problem at this point is mental and you might need to find out what you can do to find the answer. We've all been there at one time or another.
I'm sure you already know that everyone is busy, and that you have to really really want to be fit in order to get the workouts in when there is a lot going on.
I think eating clean is your first step. There is really no excuse not to eat clean even if you're busy. Once you get that down you can start throwing in some workouts. But like I said, maybe first you have to figure out what you really want out of this, and how much work you really want to put into it.
Im sure you'll figure it out eventually.
I sympathize with your plight...it seems like a piece of cake when your mind is all fired up motivated and works with your body to melt off the pounds. but once in a while, your mind turns against you and at least for me, its pure agony cos the actions and desire dont match. you know what you should be doing but you cant bear to and neither can you bear the consequences of continuing like that. usually for me its a phase that wears off and i fall back into my good eating habits. i myself have never resolved this inertia that strikes sometimes- i just wait for it to wear off. but its a normal part of any weight loss effort...hopefully the support group we have can slap us out of it!
What more can be said that hasn't already been? I just want to chime in and say that I'm pulling for you to climb out of this. Your thoughts and comments on my blog are very much appreciated not to mention helpful. I hope that with everyone's urging here, you'll fall back into the patterns that have already made you a success.
In my opinion, the home gym equipment is just a nice compliment to the actual gym membership. I know it's another expense, but it's been well worth it for me. I also have a bowlex (the big one) and a treadmill that I've used maybe 5 times in the past 3 years.
Im late but still wanted to chime in. I have felt the same way for the past week so I can defintey related to where you are in this blog. You really just have to hang in there and ride the wave. Take each choice as it comes. Dont let one bad choice make the next 5 choices. I put a quote on my blog:
Obstacles are like wild animals. They are cowards but they will bluff you if they can. If they see you are afraid of them, they are liable to spring upon you. But if you look them squarely in the eye, they will sing out of sight.
Rip..its really is all mental. So look at those choices square in the eye. You are always in control :)
Admission is the first step ro recovery. We all have those slumps, I'm sure you will claw and scratch your way out of this one. Upping your posts will probably help. It's a journey, and you're learning. That's what matters most.
Post a Comment