Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Getting Back on Track

I'm really striving to get my workout grove back. Yesterday the diet was good and I headed for the track in the evening to run a 5k on real ground. Since I have been working out I have only really ran any descent distance on my treadmill. It was a little harder to do in the real world but I finished with no walking. It took me about 33mins in the cold and darkness of a fall evening in the northwest. I don't know how you guys/gals are running sub 30s. I felt like I was pushing about as hard as I could. My plan is to run 2 5ks a week for the next 2 weeks in preparation for the turkey trot. In between I am going to be doing some interval training.

Todays Menu

8am - 1 packet of weight control oatmeal, pint of milk 1%, V8.
10am - almonds (blue diamond snack pack)
11:45 - Salad (spinach, red bell peppers, nuts, little raspberry vinegerate), Can of tuna (little low fat mayo, diced jalapeƱos) .
2:00 - small amount of fruit (watermelon, canalope, honey dew melon)
7:00 - Chicken Breast, Fresh pineapple, and asparagus.
misc - 120+ oz of water through out the day, 4 fish oil caps, daily multi vitamin.

Todays Workout (intervals - very little rest in between)
burpees 8 sets 10 reps each
pushups 6 sets 10 reps each (man style)
jump rope 8 sets 50 reps each
prisoner squats 6 sets 10 reps

I was very gassed by the time I got done with this. There was a period after the jump roping that I felt like I was going to spew. I took a few extra seconds before going into the prisoner squats. My form on the burpees degraded pretty bad as I got farther into my sets. Interval training is hard!

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Great job getting back into it!

Rob Tucker said...

It's you and me, baby.

I got my first SOLID workout in a long time out of the way today too, and I've been focusing on running as well, I want to try to get a few 5k's under my belt.

It's a tough time of year - we just need to fight through it. Someone on my other blog said to me -

"Change of season is tough. Holidays are tougher. WE are toughest."

Jim McCoy said...

It's gametime now, Rip. The cold weather and the holidays coming are the opponent. Don't let them beat you.

Brian said...

awesome work. As far as getting sub 30's on the 5k, i think you'll find your numbers go down a lot after a few tries.
It could also be your threshold for pain. Everyone's is different and I think what you can do has a lot to do with how much pain you can endure. I know I was hurting during my 5k last sunday, heh.

Melissa said...

33 minutes is awesome for your first real ground run. I think with your plan to run twice a week you will come in at your goal on Thanksgiving. I have noticed the more I run, I get better each time. Your body adjusts the more you do it.

Rebecca said...

Sounds like you had a good workout. 33 min 5k is good. I'm sure you will have a great time at the Turkey Trot (i like that name - i wish they had one in Boston!) Oh, and as for the cold - it sucks. I'm going to rock it out for as long as possible, but eventually I'm going to have to yield to the force of the treadmill. Good for you for suffering through!