Monday, September 17, 2007

Almost 33

Well tomorrow I will officially be 33. Its really amazing how fast life flies by. I was reading Billy's interview this morning and the portion where he talked about spending his 20s fat really struck home. I had a few shimmering healthy years in my early 20s and a year in my early 30s but besides that I have been wasting precious time being fat. We decided to celebrate my birthday this weekend cause my wife is going to be in training the majority of this week up in Seattle area. It was a good weekend and I really enjoyed it but my diet was bad as usual. I know I have no one to blame but myself and I am not looking for any pity or anything. I have pretty much been singing the same song and dance since I started this blog. Probably why I haven't written much lately but comments. Friday night we went to dinner with my younger sister (who is turning 30 this year). About 3 years ago she must have said to herself that she was tired be chubby (she was probably 40 over weight). She is the only one in my family that has managed to stay skinny as they have gotten older. We where sitting at the macaroni grill, I ordered the "Mama's Trio" which contained smaller portions of "3" of there favorite dishes (lasagna, manacoti thing, and chicken parmashon). I ate the pasta tube thing and the chicken and a few bits of the lasagna. My sister ordered a chicken breast and veggies (on there light menu around 500 cals) and didn't eat the whole thing. The second I saw hers and looked at mine I knew why I sat there fat and she sat there skinny and healthy. So not only do I have this great community to look to but I also have my sister to watch and mimic at times. I know I need to change my diet and I know its the weekend eating that kills my weight loss goals. Yet week in and week out I continue to make excuses and not perform on the weekends. I even told my wife on Thursday that I wanted to have a good weekend so I could for once say hey FAT coalition I had a great weekend this last weekend. So here it is Monday again and I have to struggle to get back to where I was and lower like I do every week. I feel like this post is a waste of space on the www but I also felt as if I owed you all a blog to let you know what I have been up to/thinking. Heres to better days and to me being healthy before I'm 34.

9 comments:

Jay said...

I had a bad weekend too. Let's make a commitment to have a clean weekend this week.

Marcol said...

Hey Rip nice hearing from you and seeing youre still holding on. In case I miss your Birthday tomorrow, Happy 33rd and may it be a year unlike any other full of promise, expectation and accomplishment.

I just turned 34 so I will let you know that you can go into that year a happy, healthy and fit man. I began seriously on this journey after my 33rd bday and here I am almost a year later nearly 60 lbs smaller - you can be too, in fact you will be - just stick with it!

Rob Tucker said...

These are the decisions we need to overcome. I just wrote the same thing on Jay's blog. Maybe the three of us need to exchange phone numbers and text each other during the week to stop letting ourselves constantly fail.

I don't know what it is, but we need to find a solution.

billy said...

first off, happy birthday bro.

I'm glad the thing I said about my 20's is resonating with you, it sure resonates with me.

Sometimes when I'm having a hard time or want to make a bad decision, I say to myself "This will put you that much further from your goal". So if I have a bad day, that's one more day I have to spend fat. If I have a bad weekend, same thing. Usually that helps.

The thing is, man, this isn't a dress rehearsal, this is your life. We're getting older, and transformations like these are much more difficult to pull off each year after 30. Take a good hard look at your life. What do you want? If this is it, then goddammit- do what needs to be done. You can do it, just allow yourself to do it.

swankywanker said...

Happy Birthday Rip.

The weekend thing is really rough. I drive by my favorite cheesesteak place and think to myself, "have I given up cheesesteaks for the rest of my life?" You do have to sacrifice the gluttony to lose weight, the overindulgence, but you can still indulge. Cap and trade, friend, cap and trade. Cap your calories, decide on a target for the day and stick with it. If you've reached it and you just *have* to have that cheesesteak, do it, but only if you add 800 calories worth of cardio.

If you know you'll be drinking one night, then just eat lighter through the day. It will make you a cheaper drunk, and undo some of the damage. Takes time to adjust to a new lifestyle, so forgive yourself for mistakes, and improve on them.

I really like the Subway commercials that are on now, making fun of fast food meals. "I'd like the can my butt look any bigger meal." I try to keep that rolling through my head as I make my food choices. Will I enjoy a cheesesteak as much as I'll enjoy being a healthy, active, hot person? No.

Rebecca said...

Happy birthday Rip! You're gonna be fine - you have a wife supporting you, and of course you have us. You already have some great accomplishments under your belt (or out from under your belt), use the discipline that you have shown to build on for the rest of the journey.

Marcol said...

Hey Rip - Ive been thinking about you and wanted to suggest to you trying "Weight Watchers." They have a new plan set up just for men. The weekend thing sounds like something you can get under control with their system which stresses portion control and making good choices. They have an online version if youre not into going to meetings.

Just a thought...

Rob Tucker said...

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Fat XTreme.

Fat XTreme who?

Fat Xtreme's wondering how your workouts and eating are going ;)

Melissa said...

Happy Belated Birthday. Everyone has given you great advice, I hate to see you so down and just wanted to add we are here to support you. I know you can do this. Hang in there!