Well my wife and for some stupid reason decided we wanted one of those body composition scales (Omron 510) as a joint Christmas gift. You know the ones that tell you your weight, fat%, visceral fat level, muscle% etc. The good thing about the scale is it weighs me really close to the same as our old one (within .5 lbs). The bad news is it measured my body fat at 30%... I really expected somewhere in the mid 20s. Even my friend whom I am working out with seemed shocked that my body fat was that high (he guessed me at 23%). He is just starting his workout regimen and is only 27 via my diabolic fat% scale. So yesterday I walked around really down on myself and frankly pretty pissed and feeling pretty damn defeated. I still did my workout but ended up having a cup of chai tea/nog (lite eggnog of course). So this f-ning scale tells me I have 61 pounds of fat on my body still. Realistically if I want to see 10%bf I would have to loose 40 more pounds of just fat. That would put me at 165 on a 6 foot frame..... That seems really crazy to me. I know these scales are not 100% accurate but I have been told they come pretty close. Anyway I will quit bitching about my fat A$$. Only thing I can do is get off it workout and eat right. Now does someone have a sledge hammer I can borrow???? My scale needs to meet the sledge!
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Pissed
Well my wife and for some stupid reason decided we wanted one of those body composition scales (Omron 510) as a joint Christmas gift. You know the ones that tell you your weight, fat%, visceral fat level, muscle% etc. The good thing about the scale is it weighs me really close to the same as our old one (within .5 lbs). The bad news is it measured my body fat at 30%... I really expected somewhere in the mid 20s. Even my friend whom I am working out with seemed shocked that my body fat was that high (he guessed me at 23%). He is just starting his workout regimen and is only 27 via my diabolic fat% scale. So yesterday I walked around really down on myself and frankly pretty pissed and feeling pretty damn defeated. I still did my workout but ended up having a cup of chai tea/nog (lite eggnog of course). So this f-ning scale tells me I have 61 pounds of fat on my body still. Realistically if I want to see 10%bf I would have to loose 40 more pounds of just fat. That would put me at 165 on a 6 foot frame..... That seems really crazy to me. I know these scales are not 100% accurate but I have been told they come pretty close. Anyway I will quit bitching about my fat A$$. Only thing I can do is get off it workout and eat right. Now does someone have a sledge hammer I can borrow???? My scale needs to meet the sledge!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Dude,
I got a Tanita scale last summer. I stepped on it just after purchasing it one afternoon and i was at 27% (pissed me off) then i stepped back on it the next morning and i was at 24%. I felt the latter was more true of my condition. The next mornings always yielded a result in the 23-24%. So i'd say they are pretty true, at least mine is !
The shocker for me was that i was 4-5 lbs heavier than on my old scale and it took me a few days to adapt to this new fact !
The biggest payoff for me was the accuracy of the scale though. It took all the guesswork out of reading my old scale.
Have you tried weighing in the morning with your BodyComp scale ?
CYA dude
165 pounds at 10% BF? Wow. That does seem... off.
Have you tried calculating you BF% using the calipers and scales and measuring tape method? That's what I use at the gym.
What's the result this morning Dude ?
To be honest, those scales are pretty crap. They're good for seeing that you're losing fat, but the numbers themselves are way off. Depending on the time of day that I use my handheld body-fat tester it can fluctuate up to 4%. And it won't even work on my brother, who's in great shape and 10% body fat. It just chokes and errors out lol. So I would use it more as a gauge of relative fat loss instead of an iron-clad measurement. If the number is going down, you're doing good.
I am imagining Jack Nicholason shouting at you while you consider getting on the scale "TRURTH YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH".
I am 6'1 and weighing 174 seem crazy to me, but that IBW for a man with an average frame. Since I can do the old finger around my wrist and they dont just touch, but overlap that means I too need to be in my 160's.
We Americans are so use to being fat, that we think overweight is healthy, normal is too skinny, and obese is overweight, you have to be super obese to be considered obese in most peoples minds
Good luck in 2009, your doing great even if your not were you thought you were
All it takes is some retained water in the right spot to make the reading go haywire. One can't trust the electric method as much as the tried-and-true calipers.
The point is to pick one method and stick with it, and then watch for that one to decrease. 165 on a 6 foot frame, even if you're lanky, is pushing it. Ideal weight for that height is around 175-185, if I remember my charts correctly.
Alright I'll get off the soapbox now ;) Just know that it's not always accurate. If you want a true reading, find a good trainer with a calipers and have them go to town.
Dude,
My family and i would like to extend our best wishes to you and your wonderful family.
Have a good time this Christmas !
Cheers !
Dave
So how are you doing on being sub-200 by Jan 1?
Search google for BODPOD test, I get them every 6 weeks and they are the MOSt accurate to judge bodyfat and compare that to your scale. search google for BODPOD and you will find places that will do it. They are around $25 for a test
Post a Comment