Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Field "GOAL" Attempt - Missed Wide Right

Thanks for the question Roder, it helped spur me to blog today. I have been meaning to write a update for the last few days but I haven't been motivated since I kind of tanked it last week. I will cut strait to the chase and say I cant hit my sub 200 by January 1 goal. It does suck that I couldn't pull my shit together enough to do it. Christmas week here in Portland, OR area was a mess. We had record (most in 40 years) snow fall, freezing rain, and just crappy conditions over all. It pretty much crippled everything. The office that I work at was shut down the entire week and I was homeward bound. I only hit 4 out of 6 of my workouts last week. Then on top of that I had a few bad days of eating on xmas eve and xmas day. Not horrible but I wasn't really watching what I ate as closely as I normally do. I had some scotch with my dad, some xmas candy, etc etc etc.... I just re-read the last few sentences and its all a bunch of lame ass excuses (yes I know it). On the positive note I have hit 22 out of 24 workouts I had planned for the last 28 days. As usual I know my downfall is in my diet. All the equations I have used to try and calculate calories needed seem to put me in a 2500+ a day category. So I have been trying to do that and I think its just too much food for me to loose weight. The diet equation is the one thing that has always plagued me. I know I can loose weight if I go low cal/low carb but then I just become skinny fat. If I try to keep my cals up I stay the same weight and maybe gain a little muscle but its a really really really slow process. As my last post said I am currently around 30% body fat (give or take a few percent). So I need to cut fat off my body in a really bad way. If I eat to little calories than I don't feel I have the energy to really nail my workouts. If I eat to much I stay the same which almost makes my workouts meaningless (I know the health benefits are there but you know what I am saying). I got to figure out a way to kick start my weight loss again. I don't know if its my genetics or what but how my body reacts to workouts and food really po's me. Ok I have rambled enough to probably make my short list of readers not read. Bottom line I am not giving up and I plan to meet my goals in 2009. Nothing else I can do but just that, there is no other choice. FYI 206lbs today....

4 comments:

GeneTheK said...

Happy New Year Rip. I've been avoiding the blogs like the flu. Not a good idea. Time to turn the page on 08 and look towards 09.

Lots of people make things happen. Why not us, right?

Brian said...

Happy New year. I mean, you're still at this, and probably one of the only people really even blogging anymore it seems. That means something. Not to say you arent doing much, because 22 workouts in a month is awesome in my opinion.

As to the skinny/fat thing, I know what you mean. I was successful losing weight fast by working out all the time, but keeping my cals and fat content way down. I lost weight but I didnt gain a lot of muscle, which is what I'm trying to do in a way now.

Although I do have to say that one of the other main motivators for me in working out is to I can eat some of the things I might not otherwise feel I'm able to.

OK, now I'm rambling. Maybe I should have talked about this more in my own blog, but you made me think of it.

Anyway, overall I'm just glad to see you're still posting and working towards your goals when it seems almost everyone else has fallen off the face of the earth. Nice job.

Will Phillips said...

Well dude, thinking about your diet conundrum, here's a thought:

Maybe you need to go the low cal / carb route to get to a goal weight for you, even if you get "skinny fat," and THEN go into muscle building mode.

Everything I've read seems to tell me that losing weight AND building muscle at the same time is a bi-yotch.

David said...

Dude,

Sorry for the late reply, i was away for the past week. I sincerely hope you meet you goals in 2009. It's great that you are still at this after all this time and that the fire is still burning strong. I'd appreciate if you could give us more details about you plan for 2009.

As depressing as seeing 215lbs on the scale this morning was, I am as motivated as ever and i'm now focusing my efforts to catching up to you ! Yeah, fall and Christmas were pretty bad, but 2009 is promising !