Monday, July 9, 2007

It's 80% Diet....


Even though my blog entry title states "it's 80% diet" I am still having the toughest time with just that. This weekend I was probably fine calorie wise as I didn't eat near often enough but when i did eat it wasn't always the best choice (Thai one night, and pizza the next). I don't drink enough water on the weekends either. While at work its easy for me to fill up my 32 oz bottle and drink water all day (normally drink 3 of those a day). During work week my breakfast and lunches are totally planned and bullet proof. I don't know why I am having such a hard time with diet. I know what needs to be done and I just need to do it. Another thing I am having a hard time passing on is a beer/drink on the weekends. Seems like allot of the bbqs, poker games, camping, etc involve some aspect of social drinking. Everyone is saying "hey would like a beer" etc. I also know that alcohol is worthless filler for your body. Anyway I know to be successful I need to get my diet under control and pass up the majority of the beers/drinks offered on weekends. I guess Rome wasn't built over night so I cant expect that of my body. Then again Rome wasn't built out of mud (beer) and twigs(pizza) either.... Rebecca and Billy's insane amount of weight loss for the first week of the challenge really opened my eyes also (nice work you two). I was all happy with my 1.5lbs loss (considering my diet) until I signed onto the challenge central and saw what others had done. This next week I will step up my game..... I will, I will, I can, I will, It will be done......

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Same here. I was disappointed with some of my choices last week, but I'm on it this week - especially after seeing Rebecca and Billy's numbers. I can do that too!

billy said...

First:

Nothing wrong with 1.5 pounds of weight loss. My average weight loss for the week was around 2 pounds, I credit fluctuations partially for the additional 1.5 pounds I lost.

Alcohol is tough for me too. When I started, I vowed off the stuff for a whole month. The results? Not much different from other months. But what it will do is get you accustomed to doing things without drinking.

What I try to do now is drink only once a week. I guess you could even consider it my "cheat meal" as I don't really hold back. Sometimes I drink 2 times a week, but I try to stick to that. Never on a weekday, that's for sure. Hasn't slowed me down too much anyway.

Also, about eating "less than ideal food": I eat Thai /chinese / asian food almost daily. (I live and work close to chinatown). The key is really to make reasonably healthy choices, and cut your portions in half. I skip most of the rice and noodles, and eat mostly meats and veggies. You can do it if you try. And pizza? Eat 2 slices. Move on.

It's all about making decisions in real life scenarios. You'll never be able to maintain a hermetically sealed dietary environment, so don't try to rely on that. Portion control and smart choices.

Ripx180 said...

Thanks Billy, as always you have solid advise. I just feel like I have been making more bad choices than I should be. Kind of screwing myself when it comes to loosing weight (know I can do better). I do keep my alcohol intake to the weekends and I generally do drink light beer or diet soda mixed with something.

billy said...

Well, don't be afraid to dig deeper then. But don't get pad thai... (way too much bad carbs) and definitely don't eat the whole thing!

Also with the booze- make sure not to eat ANYTHING when or after you're drinking. It's tough, but it's important.

Jay said...

Weekends are tough for me too. It's easy to start by going out on Friday and have it be a weekend binge that throws you all off.

If you're losing 1.5 lbs in a week, you're doing pretty well.

Rebecca said...

Oh no! PLEASE don't compare your weight loss to mine, or anyone else's. I mean, it's nice to see what somebody else has done, but everybody's body is different. I am positive that there will be a week during July when I will lose a pound, and you will lose double or triple that, but it's cool. Do your thing, enjoy the journey.

Weekends are tough in every regard - water, diet etc. When I first started losing, I ate out at least twice/week and lost steadily. I just cut my portions, made choices (only soda at one meal, or something like that), and adjusted when I saw how my body responded to something. Keep track of your weight, your food intake, and just keep learning!