expectations. I think the number one thing that is wrong with my weight loss is eating of carbs. This time around I am having a really hard time giving them up even though I know it really works with my body (low carbs and weight loss). I know from a been there done that standpoint that I cant do fatkins aka atkins where you can eat a pound of bacon and wash it down with mayo. My wife and I have pretty much converted to everything being whole wheat (breads, pastas, pitas, english muffins, wraps, etc) and we only eat brown rice. I have completely given up my juice consumption and full cal soda (I still have diet). The only other thing that is really killing me is the cheat meals here and there when we go out. I have tried to limit that and order better when we do go out but I do believe thats my achilies heel. The question that it brings up for me is "Is the really low carb diet a lifestyle I can live with?". Or is it just a means to get where I want to get? How do you maintain eating a realistic diet once you reach your goals? I can understand sacrificing to achieve harmony/equilibrium with your body for a period of time. I am not saying I ever want to go back to eating fast food or highly processed foods on a regular basis. I would consider my diet right now to be pretty healthy (minus the cheat meals). My diet is what I would consider liveable but still stricter than 90% of what americans eat. When I reach my goals I dont ever want to go through the process of doing it again. I have wasted years of my life being fat and trying to get skinney with success, only to have to start and do it again because my fat ass decided to quit exercising or start eating shit. I wrote the text in my header to remind myself not to waste time and energy thinking about the past and how I have f-up health wise, but here I am again f-ing wasting time. I'm f-n frustrated can you tell? I put so much time and energy into this yet I turn around and shoot myself in the foot by putting some shity ass food in my mouth. I'm not "Earning" shit and I'm F-n "half assed". Somethings got to give..... I need to turn over a new leaf and get down to business. I know what to do I'm just not doing it.... BLAAAAAHHHHHHSorry for the negative vibes but thats the crap running around in brain. Rob said to listen to what's being said inside your head if you want the truth. There you have it....
13 comments:
There you go,
Enough with the PC bullsh&t !
RipX, i can relate to many things you blogged about today. The one i like the best is : "When I reach my goals I dont ever want to go through the process of doing it again."
I think it's all tied together with pushing the boundary a little further every day or never becoming satisfied with your situation.
I feel the F.A.T. coalition is regaining momentum in these last days with all the brewing that's been going on ! And it's a good thing !
OK my friend, you let it out and that's a good thing. Now let's talk about this.
What I've found is that the longer you adhere to a way of eating, you become accustomed to it. I get most of my carbs from vegetables, and at first this was a challenge, but now it's more of the norm. Sure, I still eat some rice and potatoes here and there, but my bread and pasta consumption has just about completely vanished. Every once in a while maybe, but it's far from the norm.
The point is, you need to find a middle ground. Whatever you do, you can't hate it. Maybe it's more gradual for you, it was for me. I gradually migrated to a point where I don't base my meals around starchy carbs, but when I have some, I feel really full.
So slow down, take er easy there. You need to find something that works for you. Moderation in all things. You don't have to go no-carb. Find better carbs like beans and veggies to fill in the gaps. Eat whole grain stuff and brown rice in moderation. Learn to enjoy the delicacies of different cultures that don't come slapped between 2 huge pieces of bread or atop a giant pile of pasta.
I look at processed carbs like rocket fuel. The only way I wanna eat them is if I really need some serious energy. You want carbs? You gotta earn them with exercise.
You can do this man. Whatever you do don't make yourself miserable. Do what you can feel good about doing, and gradually push it further.
See - now this is what we're talking about. THIS is what these blogs are for. I'm glad you trust us with this.
Billy and David are right.
There's this struggle between "healthy lifestyle" and "struggling to eat healthy". I think that we expect this whole healthy eating thing to be easy - or become a habit to the point where we don't have to work at it so much.
That works for some, and that doesn't work for others. Billy's been able to control it, and now he's fixed his eating habits. You see the success he's reaped.
On the other hand, you've got guys like me. Eating healthy is as much a struggle today as it was the day I started - but I *CHOOSE* to do it, no matter how hard. I've lost over 100 pounds (depending on the scale - blah), and I still struggle daily with what foods go into my body.
The bottom line is, you have to find your middle ground. Can you NOT live without that pizza? Fine - have your pizza - but learn to regulate it in a way. Maybe eat one slice and walk away.
Maybe you're like me - I know that the second I touch a slice of pizza, I DEVOUR it. I lose control.
Therefore, I don't touch it.
Find your groove, man. It ain't easy, and you might have to try over and over again. But you know how the cliche goes - if you don't quit, you don't fail.
We're here for you.
Ummm...I just agree with everything they already said. I haven't eliminated carbs from my diet...I simply couldn't live like that, so I have just cut back where I feel that I don't need them. Do I really need both parts of the bun to enjoy my burger...not usually, so I only use one side. If I eat the bun, I'll skip the baked potato. Stuff like that...
Well, you can't and shouldnt eliminate carbs from your diet as they are the main place your body gets glycogen from, which gets converted into energy. You have to have carbs in moderation.
Check out this book:
Good Carbs, Bad Carbs: Lose Weight and Enjoy Optimum Health and Vitality by Eating the Right Carbs
by Johanna Burani
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Carbs-Bad-Vitality-Revised/dp/1569243980
I think its a great book and really explained a lot to me as to why you need carbs, which are the right ones etc. It breaks down physically what happens when you eat carbs, what they're made of..Just get the book.
Now I'd like to touch on something else. In one way, I love the blogs. It's a great way to get support, track your progess, meet people who are in a similiar situations. That said, sometimes I think people need to look at it like this: If you have not shown any progress, and you're just here to analize your thoughts as to why you dont do this and why you do that wrong, you need to not post.
Why? Because actions are the only answer. If I listened to half of the things that go through my head I'd be making no progress at all, and I'd be giving up whenever anything gets uncomfortable. This is work, and it's not always fun and its only logicaly that my brain is going to try to stop me from the hurt. That is one thing I have learned. But people seem to spend so much time THINKING about what they've done wrong or how to fix it, instead of DOING. I personally am not, nor will ever be a physcologist. I probably can't even spell the word correctly. I CAN however "self adjust" and "self reflect" as well as the next guy. But you know what? Some people are left behind, because they're too busy trying to figure out what they did wrong, and what the next step is. I'm all for blazing your own path, even if it isnt perfect. Make your adjustments AFTER you've seen progress. Have you already seen progress but there is more to be done? Then think of it as you just started, set a new goal, do whatever you have to do.
You know what to do, it's very simple. Eat less calories and burn more calories. So just do it. Don't type about it, just do it. If you can't do it, then maybe you don't even owe it to yourself to type in your blog and afford yourself the luxury of waisting another minute that you could be making real progress.
Ripx, I wont lie and say this wasnt post isnt in part directed at you, although it was really meant for everyone. Hopefully I didnt offend. I just think its easy to get caught up in the analyzing of things when the only real answer is action and action only. I think the answers to most large problems when broken down are very simple and 9 times out of 10 you already know the answers, you just need to act on them. The phrase "Easier said than done" is for people to write, not for people who perform.
I hope it works out for you and I hope I get to see you suceed.
Cornholio. wicked funny.
I definitely enjoy reading your posts and comments Ripx.
Everyone's different, and people need different approaches. For some, and all-or-nothing approach might work best, for others, a more gradual or moderate approach may work better, who knows?
Either way, keep on keepin' on. Blog about your successes and your challenges. I'll stay with you.
I love Cornholio :)
I love the fact that two girls commented on loving Cornholio :). man I used to love Beavis & Butthead (still do). I guess growing up in the 80s and 90s will due that to you, or at least some of us.
do what you have to do, if you need to sit september challenge out, then so be it. but i hope you'll still be around, i love reading your posts and hearing your comments on my posts. plus you're making progress, keep that up, even if it's not here. but i hope it is on the blog-o-sphere, cause i'm nosey and i want to know.
RipX,
I don't think you are under any obligation to participate in the challenges.
I enjoy reading your blog and comments all the time. However, i'd definitely like to see you lose some weight in the near future and reach your personal goals.
It's your call !
How ya doing Rip?
what you up to, cornholio? ;)
Post a Comment