Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Week 4......


Starting Weight: 240
Todays Weigh in : 231
Weight Lost this week: 0
Total Weight lost : 9

So no weight loss for this guy this week. I guess once again I can be thankful that I didn't gain weight as my last weekend was by far not perfect. However I did use muscles I havent used in some time so I am hoping maybe some of it is muscle weight :). I am battling a stinking cold as I type this. It is kind of putting a damper on my workouts a bit. I am still going through the motions they are just not as productive as usual. I cant believe Tomorrow is the 4th of July. Everyone have a wonderful and safe independence day.

7 comments:

billy said...

Yeah, it happens to the best of us. Have you considered using the daily weigh-in/average method? It can be frustrating, but you might have seen a drop in your average this week, even if your weigh-in today was the same as one last week.

I know it doesn't work for everyone, but personally, I swear by it (as long as you can handle the daily weigh-ins!)

Rob Tucker said...

I hear you on the "no weight loss is better than weight gain" thing.

A lot of times when I first started off, I noticed when I was hitting the gym and weights heavier, my weight loss would slow down. You're right - the balance of muscle gain and fat loss is a mental struggle.

Make sure you do measurements, and be conscious of other improvements that you're seeing - and don't worry about the scale (as much - apparantly I'm a HUGE hypocrite today :))

Ripx180 said...

I am considering doing the average thing as I think it might help me be more accountable and proactive in loosing the weight. What do you guys/gals that use this method do when you are on vacation? do you just average your last 5 recordings?

Rob Tucker said...

If I'm on vacation, or there's a time where I am not able to work out, I just take the last five DAYS.. so, say if I only workout 3 times in 5 days, I just divide by 3 instead of five, I don't go farther back.

I like the 5-day because part of my motivation to go to the gym is so I can get my daily weigh in (I use the gym scale). Find what works for you, and stick with it. For me, being addicted to the scale is some weird motivator. ;)

Rebecca said...

It's true, better to have stayed the same than to have gained! Do you already weigh yourself every day? When I first started, I weighed myself weekly, but now I weigh myself every day and I keep track of that weight because it does help keep me accountable and it's nice to know how my body works. Rob is right, measurements are crucial to know when you are losing fat/gaining muscle.

Ripx180 said...

I used to not want to be a slave to the scale but recently I have been stepping on it more mornings than not out of curiosity to be able to forecast where I will be. You are right about it keeping you more accountable. I am going to give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks all for you thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I'm a daily-weigher as well and it's actually really helped me figure out how my body works. What I'll usually do is hit a peak weight, gradually go down, peak again (but lower than the original peak), gradually go down...and so on. At first, I got SOOOO irritated by this, but taking a step back and looking at the big picture has helped me be more prepared for the peaks and realize that it's just how I work.

You've got to do what works for you, though. Weighing in daily can be very frustrating at first. Once you get enough data to see that the weight is gradually going down, it gets easier (although still frustrating at times!), but leading up to that it is tough.