Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Week 5 - The Same Old Song and Dance

Starting Weight: 240
Todays Weigh in : 230.5
5 day Average : 231.1
Weight Lost this week: .5
Total Weight lost : 9.5

Well I am starting to get a little frustrated. My weight just doesn't want to come down. Only .5 loss in the last 2 weeks (on my weekly weigh in on Tuesdays). I know my diet hasn't been 100% but it has been way better then I used to live. I am not giving up by any means, just venting. I know you have all been here before, but I imagined it happening much later in the game. I worked out hard last night, ran 3 miles strait without stopping at 5 mph (which I know is slow) but i am trying to build up my endurance. My heart monitor said I burnt a little over 600 calories and my heart rate was in the 155-168 range. The last 4-5 min I pushed it up to 6mph and quickly launched my heart rate into the high 170s. I felt really good about my effort and thought maybe I would be rewarded when I stepped on the scale this morning, but no I am looking at the same stupid numbers. My scale only does pounds in .5 increments so I cant get as detailed as some of you when trying to calc averages. Anyway I hope there is better progress for me next week...

8 comments:

Kristen said...

In times like these, just focus on being a healthier individual. You are making better choices and strengthening your mind and body. The weight will eventually come off.

If you want to accelerate the weight loss though, it's probably your eating. I know you know that.

I seem to have a difficult time with focusing on fitness and diet at the same time. I will do really well with one or the other - rarely both.

It sounds like maybe you are pushing yourself nicely with your exercise - and that's always good.

One thing that's helped some of us is to push for the 10 lb markers. Maybe focus more on diet until you push to under 230.

billy said...

You know you can do better with your diet, so you know what you need to do.

The good news is that 9.5 lbs after 5 weeks sounds about right- just about 2 lbs/week. Don't forget to look at the big picture ;)

Rob Tucker said...

As usual, these two beat me to it.

You mentioned your diet - you know what to do. "OK" just isn't enough. You have to fully commit.

And as Billy said, when you look at the big picture, 2 pounds a week is pretty damn good. Just keep working it.

Anonymous said...

Do you know what your BMR is? You can go to http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ to figure out yours. You want to consume that many calories per day. Even an extra 200 calories over your BMR per day can add up. It might not even be "bad" foods. But too much good foods can also be detrimental to weight-loss. I know you don't want to count calories, and you've got to do what works for you, but the equation is simple: calories in < calories out.

Something else you might want to try is HIIT, if you're not already doing it. It burns more fat than a steady cardio workout and it keeps your metabolism up well after you're done.

Just my two cents. :)

Ripx180 said...

My BMR is around 2200. I am 6ft 231lbs now and 32yo. I believe most days I am under what I am supposed to be eating. But I haven't actually counted. I did buy fitday a while back and started using it but got frustrated at trying to find the foods I was eating or having to do a new food each time (so time consuming). But I must agree with you that I should have at least a baseline to make sure I am not shooting myself in the foot. I need to make sure I am below my maintenance calories.

I have been mixing up my cardio between HIIT and steady state.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Rebecca said...

Keeping track of calories is really crucial and helpful - eye-opening, in fact. Try it for a week or so, and it will help you know what's within your range, even if you don't do your calories every day. The body doesn't always respond immediately to calories burned, but it will kick in. I watched The Biggest Loser, and one week Wiley was so disappointed that he busted his ass and didn't lose anything. But the next week he lost 12 pounds! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Maybe try Calorie Count (www.calorie-count.com)? I got really frustrated that FitDay didn't have half the stuff I ate in their database and switched to CC. There are still some things I've got to enter manually, but they've got a LOT more foods than FitDay (including fast foods) and they've also got a feature to add in recipes and it will tell you how many calories are in each serving. Pretty nifty.

I swear I'm not trying to push this on you. Again, you've got to do what works for you. :)

Candy Girl said...

im with kristen/billy/rob/beck/rip/rebecca.