Well yesterday was a tuff day in the food arena for me. We celebrated my sons second birthday and spent time with some friends we haven't seen in about a month. Started my day out great with some cardio in the morning and ate well in the morning too. At my sons party we choose to serve strawberry shortcake instead of your usual high calorie high fat deserts. So I had to have a small piece of that (ok I choose to have a small piece of that - no excuses). Then our friends invited us out for dinner at their place and you all know how that goes since you really don't have any say on what you eat. I had a pretty good portion of spaghetti and some bread and green beans. Of course all the bread and noodles were your standard white varieties (we try to always do whole wheat at our house). So I consumed some of that and then proceeded to have two gin and tonics (bad ripx....) Felt kind of guilty by the time I got home. But all things considered I think I could have been much worse and would have been a week ago. I did skip desert at their place. I wanted to get in another round of cardio to help negate some of it but it was late and I knew my alarm was going off at 4:50am so no go on that.
Tuesday is weigh in day for me so I am hoping my first week has been somewhat successful. I feel better even after only a week so I guess I can already say its been a success. I just hope that the scale reflects that too.
3 comments:
I think you did a good job. The reality is that life happens. Sometimes we just have to make the best choices we can. Your weigh-in will probably be fine, but if not, it will be a lesson for you about what you can and cannot do, or the timing of when you can eat certain things, which is also very important. Keep up the good work!
Those situations are always tough. When I first started out, I didn't want to tell people I was on a "diet" because I just wanted to be low key about it. Also, I felt a sense of shame that I had to put myself in that position because of earlier weaknesses.
But after doing this thing for about 7 months, pretty much everyone knows what I'm doing (it's hard for people not to notice all the weight I've lost.) I talk to people openly about it now, which is much easier once you've had some success, than it is when you just start out because people assume (and they're often right) that you won't stick with it.
Don't be afraid to tell your friends what you are doing. Regardless of what they're serving, you can always ask for a smaller portion, and skip the bread, etc. If they really are friends they'll understand and support your decision.
It's all about learning how to handle those situations that is the key to success. You'll do better next time.
Ah, the dreaded eating at someone else's house! I think you did good, considering the circumstances. As long as you get back on track and don't make what you ate last night the norm, then you're doing good. You can't expect to give up those foods (and drinks) completely - forever. Every now and then is okay and moderation is key. Again, just get right back up and don't look back. ;)
Post a Comment