Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Introduction

Name: Ripx
Age: 32

Height: 6'0
Starting Weight: 240
Status: Married with one child

In my 32 years of life I have struggled with my weight for the vast majority. I am no beginner to the fitness/nutrition world and have walked the walk a few times before. In 2004 I battled my way down 52 pounds but find myself here again at 240 lbs in 2007. It makes me sick to think of all the effort and time I have wasted. As I get older my health has started to deteriorate and I am showing signs of early departure from this life if I don't do anything about it. I am currently on hypertension and high cholesterol meds. When I first went on them about 3 years ago it was only borderline high numbers that they where trying to be proactive about controlling. I know that my weight, activity level, and diet will play hugely into this equation but yet I still find myself in the "fat" situation. I seem to really be lacking motivation to work out or to control what is in my hands to control. So yes I really need to get a grip.

R&R (Reason and Reflection)

I have every reason in the world to take better care of myself. I have a wonderful loving wife. A awesome little 2 year old boy that means the world to me. Some of the best family and friends a guy could have asked for. A good career making a descent salary. A nice home with nice things. I don't ever want to be a embarrassment to my child because daddy is fat. I want to be able to play sports and be active in life. I like to be able to buy clothes and feel I look good in them. I no longer want to avoid having pictures taken of me because I hate the way I look. I am tired of having low self esteem and self image. I would like to be able to go with my shirt off and not feel like a oddity or freak show. I want to be a good role model to those that are most important to me. I know I need to take better care of myself which in return will take better care of the things I love. I want to grow old and watch my family do the same.

TP & RB (Turning Point or Rock Bottom).
These things I want to list for myself as reminders of why something has to change. There have been several things in my life as of late that have made me realize I really need to do this.

1. We just got back from a trip to see my in laws and extended family. When I saw pictures of myself I was thoroughly disgusted. I have been in denial and seeing these pictures made me very aware of just how far I have let myself go.
2. I broke a camping chair while trying to get up out of it (it couldn't handle my weight).
3. One of my good friends commented on the fact that I had gained weight and mentioned how much older it made me look.

4. My wife wrote this to me in a e-mail " "
5. I played a game of pickle ball and my lower back started hurting really bad.

6. I get winded easy and am constantly tired.

7. I feel like I am a big fat slob. I have always thought that the shape that a person is in is a reflection on the type of person they are. So you know what that makes me in my eyes.
8. I am getting older and it only gets harder to maintain a descent physic.


I know many of these things are harsh and may not seem helpful to some or anti productive, but to me a negative equals positive reaction and output. Also I really need to quit lying to myself and stare the truth in the face. I am going to try to and take pictures ever week to show progress. Anyway wish me luck and hopefully I will be successful in learning to live....

1 comment:

Rob Tucker said...

If I had a child, I could have cut and pasted this first post of yours and put it in my blog six months ago. You and I have SO much in common it's scary.

You WILL hit these goals, and you WILL feel better about yourself. The FAT Coalition's almost lost 500 pounds together, and you're going to do great. Just remember - put your money where your mouth is. Anyone can talk a game, but if this means as much to you as it sounds like it does..

.. YOU WILL WIN.

Welcome aboard, man.