Monday, October 15, 2007

Todays Weigh In :221

Yesterdays Menu

7am - veggie bites, black coffee, a banana
10am - Turkey Jerky (Oberta brand - funny, turkey jerky is no better for you than beef, there is actually more sodium in the turkey version, go figure)
11:45 - Turkey Sandwich (open face 1 piece of WW bread, loaded with veggies, slice of cheese, and no mayo)
2:00 - na
6:30 - Black bean garden burger in half ww pita (little avocado and bbq sauce) seltzer water with a splash of juice.
misc - 120+ oz of water through out the day, 6 fish oil caps, daily multi vitamin.

Cardio - I ran my new longest distance last night at 4 miles, 730cal, and 47min. I actually felt pretty good but at this point I don't want to push it much farther. I would like to get faster... I feel like my stamina has gotten much better but speed is really not there yet. I think I need to start doing some more HIIT to get faster. If anyone has any thoughts on increasing speed lets hear it.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring a new low. I need one and want one real bad.

8 comments:

Jay said...

Good menu, good exercise, and good attitude. I'm so happy to see you going well. You're on a roll! You're going to start seeing new lows very soon if not tomorrow.

Kristen said...

I think HIIT is the way to go, Ripx. It really helps to test out your limits along with telling your body that you need MORE from it.

Oh...great running shoes helped me to increase my speed also...and proper fueling certainly helps.

Marcol said...

Hey Rip - nice on your 4 miles in 47 mins.

Theres various forms of speedwork that you can do, what interests you? I have a couple of ideas let me know if youre interested. Also, youll have to keep doing something that matches the miles youre at so that you maintain that level, but it will only need to be minimal.

Ripx180 said...

Marcol, I am interested in your ideas. However I don't understand what you mean when you ask what I am interested in? I just want to run faster, be more agile, explosive etc (lean and mean). 3 miles is more my speed as I have time to do that more often than the 4 miles. My sister said she ran 4 miles the other day so it stuck in my head and I decided to do it. Lets say I want to increase my 5k speed. Thats one of my goals to run a sub 30 5k. I did it back in 2000 and I would like to get back to that fast and faster. Thanks in advance for the input.

Kristen thanks for your input too. I started out doing more HIIT but have kind of gone more to the steady state. I do need to do more HIIT. I got good shoes (Asics gel kayanos - which I love). fuel seems to be hit and miss for me. I notice if I have a few extra carbs that day I feel much more energized. But I don't want my fuel to end up on as fat on my ass if you know what I am saying. :)

Melissa said...

I dont have much running advice, but grat job on the 4 miles! :)

Anonymous said...

Intervals helped me immensely. I started out at 5.5-6mph and now I do about 7-7.5mph on a tread (I'm holding steady at a 9:16-min mile outdoors which puts me around 6.5mph). What I did was this:

Workout A (do 6 reps)
30s @ 50% effort (8.5mph for me)
60s rest
30s @ 75% effort (9.5mph for me)
60s rest
30s @ 100% effort (10.5-11mph)
90s rest

Workout B (do 6 reps)
45s @ 50% effort
60s rest
45s @ 75% effort
60s rest
45s @ 100% effort
90s rest

Alternate the above workouts and give yourself a day of rest. I usually did M/W/F as my days. Plenty of rest.

Something to keep in mind: this increased my speed, not necessarily my endurance.

Hope this helps. This is what worked for me...but there are obviously a million ways to increase speed. You've got to do what works for you. :)

Marcol said...

Hey Rip. Give what Beck wrote a try. She's right about that increasing your speed not your endurance. If youre looking to increase your endurance then what Rebecca's blog about her "Tempo Run" is what would be the order for the day.

I asked what interested you because that would help when deciding what types of drills you'd do. If you dont like a certain machine or type of sport then assigning you something along those lines wouldnt get you anywhere because youd hate it.

Let us know how you do with Beck's input.

Rebecca said...

Nice job on the new distance. I decided to focus on my distance first, getting a reasonable number of miles under my belt. Now I am focusing on speeding up. However you decide to do it, I'm sure you'll get it done!