Monday, April 20, 2009

A Little Laxidasical

WI: NA
CC: NA
CB: NA

As the subject line says I have been somewhat in a state of sloth and apathy. Truthfully I haven't missed a workout but my diet kind of sucked this weekend. It sucked bad enough that I didn't want to get on the scale this morning to see what damage I had done. Friday I stayed on course but Saturday night I had pizza and drinks with friends while watching the UFC. I ate 3 and a half pieces of pizza from papa murphy's and a fist full of other random stuff. Yesterdays food was pretty descent until dinner when I decided to get Thai take out (chicken Phad Thai for me). I did however go on a good run last night. We ran 4 miles and I felt really strong and fast. My workout friend even said I pushed the pace. I had to smile cause we had another friend who appears to be in much better shape go running with us. You know the typical 5'10" 170 pound fit guy. Well we reduced him to walking as we would run ahead and back. I could tell he was surprised how good of shape we were in in comparison to how we look (I guess). It felt pretty good.

We are finally getting some really nice weather out here in the pacific northwest. I was out back on Sunday getting some yard work done and decided to take my shirt off to get some sun. As I was walking by our slider I saw my reflection. I was quickly reminded why I don't feel comfy with my shirt off. I just cant seem to shake the body fat. I feel like I have put a ton of effort and dedication into loosing weight many times in my life and I always get the same results "skinny fat".... Granted I am not even skinny fat yet.. but all the weight lifting I do just doesn't change my shape much. I still look like someone squeezed me out of a tooth paste tube.... It just always puts my thoughts back into the "Why am I trying so hard if I am never going to get the body I want" mode. The health benefits are nice but do I have to go as hard as I do to get those, I don't know.

Besides that life is good. We are getting ready to put our first home on the market in hopes of upgrading to something larger.

2 comments:

Brian said...

i grapple with the same skinny/fat thing. I think that the only way to get around this look is stop start doing more weight training. I think that we need to realize that there is always going to be some amount of fat on our bodies unless we get super strict with our diets. That level of strictness, well I'm just not down with it. So I feel like the only way to combat the skinny/fat thing is to lift more. Do more weight training. Guys can "hide" whatever fat they have left over by building some muscle. I see people like that all the time, people who probably have more fat than me, but look "buffer" because they have more muscle. So that's what I've been working on. Last year when the weather got nice I only did cardio. This year I plan to keep lifting in addition to running and riding my bike.

BTW, good luck on selling your house! I hope to upgrade myself within a few years...

Tigerlilly said...

We missed the fight sat night, but heard it was a lousy ending.

As for the 'why am I doing this' feeling. I am constantly feeling the same way. I just try to find little things everyday that keep me motivated to keep going. Like wearing a size smaller in jeans! (a personal NSV I got this weekend!)

The weekend was what it was... time to get back in gear now.